The Master Recital Festival is open to any South Carolina High School Junior or Senior who is a member of a school band program as per the SCBDA eligibility requirements.
Band directors will submit an online application (with an uploaded MP3), a printed application form, and a non-refundable $20.00 application fee to the event chairman.
The student’s musical selection must be considered Grade 4 or higher literature. The submitted repertoire does not have to be the same literature that will be performed at the Master Recital Festival. The recording should be 4 – 10 minutes in length (minimum and maximum).
A selection committee, chosen and chaired by Joshua Artz, will review submitted recordings and select participating students. Participating students will be notified by the State Chairman via the student’s band director. After student notification, a participating student roster will be posted on the association’s website.
Up to 20 students may be selected to participate.
- Performed literature must be considered grade 4 or higher.
- Performance time will be limited to 10 minutes.
- Due to performance time limit, students may perform a movement or movements of a larger work, provided the selected movement(s) is (are) considered to be grade 4 or higher.
- Any literature that requires accompaniment must have a live accompanist (no recordings or computer generated music).
- Students will be adjudicated by a panel of three judges.
- Students will be adjudicated and ratings will be awarded according to established Solo & Ensemble criteria (see Chapter 6, Articles V & VI.).
- The judging panel will select a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place outstanding performance upon conclusion of the recital.
- Scholarships will be awarded to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners.
- The 1st place winner will have the opportunity to perform during the All-State Band Clinic weekend in March.
Master Recital Chair:
New Ellenton Middle School
814 Main St. S
New Ellenton, SC 29809