Jeff Jarvis & Rick Simply, Directors
Jazz Ensemble Roster
The SCBDA 2007 All-State Jazz Ensembles are two
bands of equal strength, named for their clinicians.
|2007 ALL-STATE JAZZ ENSEMBLE – Jeff Jarvis, Clinician|
|Alto Sax I||Chris Mitchell||Northwestern High School|
|Alto Sax II||Chris Benson||Charleston School of the Arts|
|Tenor Sax I||Sean Ellis||Stratford High School|
|Tenor Sax II||Chris Heistand||Socastee High School|
|Bari Sax||Emma Ostapeck||Charleston School of the Arts|
|Trumpet I – Split||Jake Mitchell||Northwestern High School|
|Chris Tipton||Stratford High School|
|Trumpet II||Wei-Huan Chen||D.W. Daniel High School|
|Trumpet III||Joey Campbell||Stratford High School|
|Trumpet IV||Thomas O’Grady||Charleston School of the Arts|
|Trombone I||Giff Waltz||Wando High School|
|Trombone II||John Kotab||Charleston School of the Arts|
|Trombone III||Nick Moody||West Florence High School|
|Trombone IV||Wesley Day||D.W. Daniel High School|
|Guitar||Craig Bowman||Blacksburg High School|
|Piano||Colin Campbell||Seneca High School|
|Bass||Alan Woodall||SC Governor’s School for the Arts/Humanities|
|Drum Set||Brendan Bull||Chapin High School|
|Aux. Perc.||Gabriel Holloway||AAA Home School Band|
|2007 ALL-STATE JAZZ ENSEMBLE – Rick Simerly, Clinician|
|Alto Sax I||Cody Nelson||Charleston School of the Arts|
|Alto Sax II||Robert Montgomery||Wando High School|
|Tenor Sax I||Zach Thames||Charleston School of the Arts|
|Tenor Sax II||Maxime Sorbello||Goose Creek High School|
|Bari Sax||David Doughty||Hartsville High School|
|Trumpet I – Split||Christian Gordon||Stratford High School|
|Travis Tegen||D.W. Daniel High School|
|Trumpet II||Justin Dunham||West Florence High School|
|Trumpet III||Spencer Nance||Spartanburg High School|
|Trumpet IV||Keli Price||Hartsville High School|
|Trombone I||Wes Crenshaw||Pickens High School|
|Trombone II||Tim Boyer||Northwestern High School|
|Trombone III||Zach Roach||D.W. Daniel High School|
|Trombone IV||Nate Lodge||Wando High School|
|Guitar||Joseph Osborne||T.L. Hanna High School|
|Piano||Derrick Prioleau||Dutch Fork High School|
|Bass||Robert Widlowski||Charleston School of the Arts|
|Drum Set||Jason Piers||Northwestern High School|
|Aux. Perc.||Zach Miller||Westside High School|
1. Diatonic Major Scales (90 second time limit):
All major diatonic scales should be memorized. Students will be asked to play FIVE chromatically adjacent scales in their audition. If a scale is played incorrectly, it may be attempted at the end of the sequence, if there is time remaining in the 90 second time limit. If there is time left, the judge will announce those scales for which full credit has not been given.
2 Octaves Bb, B, C, C#, D, Eb, E, F
1 Octave F#, G, Ab, A
2 Octaves F#, G, Ab, A, Bb, B, C
1 Octave C#, D, Eb, E, F
2 Octaves E, F, F#, G, Ab, A, Bb
1 Octave B, C, C#, D, Eb
(Bass Trombone should play from lowest note possible — at least pedal G and up)
Guitar, Piano and Bass:
2 Octaves Eb, E, F, F#, G, Ab, A, Bb, B, C, C#, D
2. Chromatic Scale: Each student should play an open-ended chromatic scale (ascending and descending) to show their full playing range. Rhythm is at the discretion of the student, but should be consistent throughout. The Senior All-State chromatic ranges would be the minimum for the winds. Piano, Guitar, Bass, and Vibes should play the full range of their instrument.
3. Prepared Etude: All etudes are selected from the “Jazz Conception” books by Jim Snidero, published by Advance Music. Books come with demo CDs (for study purposes only), and are available for: Alto/Bari Sax, Tenor Sax, Trumpet, Tenor Trombone, Bass Trombone, Piano, Guitar, Bass, and Drums. At the audition, the etudes must be performed without accompaniment at the listed tempo.
Etudes for the 2007 All-State Jazz Ensemble Auditions:
• All Saxes: Tunisia, pg. 40-41, track 20. Play all.
• Trumpet: IND Line, pg. 24, track 12. Play ms. 1-37. (Potential lead players play 8va from ms. 26-37)
• Trombone: Proxy, pg. 20, track 10. Play ms. 32 to the end (8va is optional)..
• Guitar: Proxy, pg. 20, track 10. Play from the beginning through ms. 31.
• Piano: (Use the Solo Etudes, not the Piano Comping book) Proxy, pg. 27 & 28, track 8. Play from the beginning through ms. 31.
• Bass: (Use the Solo Etudes, not the Bass Lines book) Proxy, pg. 20, track 10. Play from the beginning through ms. 31.
• Drums: Tunisia, pg. 62, track 18. Play all.
• Vibes: same as guitar (using the guitar book)
4. Sightreading: Students will sightread in two contrasting styles. One style will be swing and the other will be chosen from ballad, Latin, or rock. Drum set players have a different procedure. Please review the SCBDA Handbook for details.
5. Improvisation: Students will show their improvisational skills by playing along with a CD…Track #8 of “Blues in F” of the Jamey Aebersold Play-A-Long CD-Volume One–“How to Improvise.” This can be ordered from any music dealer or directly from Jamey Aebersold at 1-800-456-1388, or online at www.jazzbooks.com.
*All Band Directors should consult the SCBDA Handbook for further details about any facet of the All-State Jazz Auditions or State Jazz Festival registration and participation requirements.